Thursday, August 28, 2014

DREAMS








DREAMS
by P.J. Dunlap-Huerta

Peaceful, but not silent.  Nature’s symphony: chickens clucking across the creek, cattle lowing; blue jay’s and cardinal’s wings thrashing.   Cicadas provide rhythm as the crows add a bass voice.   Tiny chickadees and an oriole steal in silently to grab a seed from the feeder arms length from me, never stopping long enough for me to focus the lens on their colorful feathers while a squirrel scampers stealthily over the pile of logs nearby.  Occasionally a humming bird flies up to check on the strange creature on the porch and flits away silently as it came.   I just heard a leaf fall to the ground, loosened by the gentle breeze blowing.  Getting in touch with my inner country girl.

Sounds idyllic, doesn’t it?  But less than an hour ago, I was in a makeshift outdoor shower--less than ideal.  It brought memories of an improvised shower in an unfinished basement many years ago.  Cold water only; cobwebs to be knocked out of corners.  This one had a rough wooden floor; that one a bare cement floor.  This one had dollar store plastic hoses and fixtures; that one had store-bought ones.   Getting in touch with my inner country girl.

Sitting here on the porch of my Hillbilly retreat tears stream down my face as I remember the young girl who used to dream sitting by the creek bank with the smell of honeysuckle around her.   Dream of an education; dream of life in the city; dream of nice clothing and cars that hummed instead of rattled; dream of a house with real hot water in the shower.   Dream of being a city girl.

The irony of life:  Now the city girl dreams of retreats in the country, of the smell of honeysuckle, revels in the sights of sunrise over the hills and listens to the concerto of God’s creation.

God has been good to me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment